The Hong Kong Art Archive has been founded with the aim of promoting awareness and study of Hong Kong artistic achievement on a worldwide basis. It hopes to provide students, academic researchers in the fields of art history, visual culture etc., curators and others interested in modern and contemporary Chinese art with electronic and physical resources, particularly with respect to the work of living Hong Kong artists. At present the HKAA exists only on a modest scale, but if resources permit we hope to expand it in due course. All donations and offers of sponsorship are welcome.
The HKAA's electronic resources are:
1. A visual archive of images of works by Hong Kong artists, together with associated documentation. An opening page enables you to scroll down an alphabetical listing of the artists currently included in the archive, and view a small-scale sample image for each artist. From here you can click to pages devoted to individual artists, and examine a wider range of images at a larger scale. The artists currently included in the HKAA are listed below. Visitors who already know which artists interest them can click directly to their individual pages from here.
|Abbas, Nadim||Aranita, Jeffrey du Vallier d'Aragon||Au Hoi Lam||Cascante III, Justo||Chan Chik||Chan Chung Shu|
|Chan Gaylord||Chan Hoi Ying||Chan Kwan Lap, Eddy||Chan Ping Tim||Chan Shing Kau||Chan Wai Man, Raymond|
|Chan Yuk Keung||Chao Hai Tien||Chau Lam||Chen, Movana||Cheng Ming||Cheng Yi, Caroline|
|Cheung Hon Hung||Cheung Kam Long||Cheung Nga Yin, Lucia||Cheung Wan Man, Amy||Cheung Yee||Ching Chin Wai, Luke|
|Cho Hyun Jae||Choi Yan Chi||Chou, Irene||Chow Chun Fai||Chow Suk Fan, Josephine||Chow, Don|
|Chu Almond||Chu Hing Wah||Chu Tat Shing||Chui Tze Hung||Chung Chee Yan, Wilson||Chung Tai Fu|
|Clarke, David||Costadimas, Evangelo||Ford, Norman Jackson||Fung Hon Kee, Joseph||Fung Mei Wah, May||Fung Wing Kee, Raymond|
|Geiger-Ho, Martie||Go Man Ching, Simon||Ha Bik Chuen||Harris, Dominique||Ho Bing Kuen||Ho Hing Kay, Oscar|
|Ho Sin Tung||Ho Siu Kee||Ho, Seeman||Hon Chi Fun||Hung Hoi||Hung Keung|
|Jao Tsung-I||Kan Tai Keung||Keung Pei Chong||Ko Chi Keung, Alfred||Ko Wah Man, Norman||Kong Ho|
|Koo Mei||Kum Chi Keung||Kwan Sheung Chi||Kwan, Jerry||Kwok Mang Ho||Kwok Ying|
|Lai Kin Keung, Edwin||Lai Ming Hoi, Victor||Lam Laam, Jaffa||Lam Tian Xing||Lam Tung-pang||Lam Wai Kit|
|Lam Yuk Lin, Pauline||Lau Chai Fat||Lau Ching Ping||Lau Pui Yee, Gukzik||Lau Siu Hong, Freeman||Law Sum Po, Jamsen|
|Lee Chee Fong, Patrick||Lee Ka Sing||Lee Kit||Lee Kwok Chuen, Woody||Lee, Aries||Lee, Holly|
|Leong Ka Tai||Leung Chi Wo||Leung Koon Ming, Jakie||Leung Kui Ting||Leung Mee Ping||Leung Po Shan, Anthony|
|Leung Yam Boon||Leung Yeu Fai, Josiah||Li Kwok Ming||Li Wei Han, Rosanna||Li Yu Fan, Jacqueline||Liang Yee Woo, Evelyna|
|Liew Come Tong||Liu Siu Jane||Lo Sun-chang||Lo Sze Lim, Chris||Lo Yin Shan||Lo Yuen Man, Yvonne|
|Lo Yuk Yin, Lucille||Lui Chun Kwong||Lui Fung Ngar, Eddie||Lui Siu Wai, David||Mak Fung||Mak Hin Yeung, Antonio|
|Man Ching Ying, Phoebe||Man Fung Yi||MAP Office||Mok Hing Ling||Mok Yat Sun||Ng Kwun Lun, Tony|
|Ng Tak Tung||Ng Yuen Wah||Ng, Kingsley||O'Brien, Robert John||Ou Da Wei||Pak Sheung Chuen, Tozer|
|Pau, Ellen||Poon Chun Wah||Sham Ka Ho, Bobby||Shieh Ka Ho, Wilson||Sit Lik Hoi||Slavick, Madeleine Marie|
|So Hing Keung||So Yan Kei||Sze Yuen, Jannie||Tam Wai Ping, Lukas||Tang Ho Tat, Top||Tang Wing Chi|
|Tang Ying Chi, Stella||Tang, Ringo||Thorpe, Renee Melchert||Ting Chih Jen||To Shui Ming||To, Hiram|
|To, Marzo||Tong King Sum||Tsang Chui Mei||Tsang Kin-wah||Tsang Tak Ping||Tsang Wing Kwong|
|Tse Ming Chong||Tse, Sarah||Tsui Chee Kui, Joseph||Tung Hing Yee||Van Lau||Vigneron, Frank|
|Wan Lai Kuen, Annie||Wan Qing Li||Wang Hai||Wong Chi Hang, Sara||Wong Hi Sun||Wong Kai Yu|
|Wong Kei Kwan||Wong Kum||Wong Kwok Choi, Kacey||Wong Lai Ching, Fiona||Wong Ping Pui, Stanley||Wong Sau Ching|
|Wong Shun Kit||Wong Wai Yin||Wong Wo Bik||Wong Wucius||Wong Yan Kwai, Yank||Wong, Magdalen|
|Yan Lei||Yeung Sau Churk, Ricky||Yeung Tong Lung||Yik Yuet Sek||Yip Pak Ho, Henry||Young Hay|
|Yu Arnold||Yu Wai Luen, Francis||Zheng Bo|
2. A guide to the literature on Hong Kong art. This online searchable bibliography is intended to provide the kind of resources for students and researchers that is readily available in the case of English language material concerning Western art, but which has not so far been available for students of its Hong Kong counterpart.
3. A guide to art exhibitions that have taken place in Hong Kong. This online searchable resource aims to provide a chronology of art events in Hong Kong, whether they feature Hong Kong artists or those from overseas.
4. A collection of online articles, interviews, artists' statements and other textual resources in either English or Chinese, plus a collection of essays on Hong Kong art written by students of the Art History Department, HKU.
The physical resources of the archive, which currently consist of a reference collection of books, exhibition catalogues and other materials on Hong Kong art, is located in the Resource Centre of the Department of Art History, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong (Room 1029 on the 10th floor of the Run Run Shaw Tower, Centennial Campus, phone: 852-39172614). All are welcome to consult the archive during office hours (please phone before visiting).
Please direct all inquiries and suggestions concerning the archive to Grace Wong via contact link below. Due to resource limitations, we regret that we are not currently able to conduct research in the HKAA on behalf of callers.
I hope you will find the archive of help.
Founder and Academic Director,
Hong Kong Art Archive.
Grace Wong, Archive Manager, Hong Kong Art Archive.
--, Project Coordinator, Hong Kong Art Archive.
HKAA address: Room 1029, Run Run Shaw Tower, Centennial Campus, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong.
HKAA phone: 852-39172614
HKAA e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. The Hong Kong Art Archive has received funding support from the Endowment Fund for Music and Fine Arts, Hong Kong University (2000) and the University Research Committee, Hong Kong University (2001). The HKAA also embodies research enabled by Hong Kong Research Grants Council Earmarked Grant For Research (project number HKU7176/OOH).
2. Images of Antonio Mak's works are provided by Susan Fong, the artist's widow. All other images and associated information has been provided by the artists themselves. We would like to express our sincere gratitude to them for their support.
3. The whole project, including collection of information, categorization of materials, compilation of database and construction of website, could not have been accomplished without the efforts of the hard-working staff members employed at different stages of the archive's development. They are Grace Wong, Zoe Li, Chan Kuen On, Connie Lo, Joan Ho, Maggie Wong, Grace Chu, Manir Chan, Silvia Fok, Yancy Leung and Alice Tsui. We would like to thank the Department of Art History (arthistory.hku.hk) and its academic and administrative staff for their support.
4. The HKAA wishes to express its thanks to the following volunteers, who made crucial contributions to the project's success. Linda Chan offered us her web design skills at the early stage of the archive's development. Shek Wai Kueng offered essential help with the programming of the website, transforming the databases into online searchable resources.
Pages in this information system may be linked to any other Web pages. Information contained within the Hong Kong Art Archive pages is intended for personal study purposes. All data and images are protected by copyright. Unauthorized use or electronic dissemination is prohibited by applicable laws. Please contact the HKAA for permission to republish any material. Unless otherwise noted, the copyright of all images in the visual archive rests with the respective artists.
Other Archives on Hong Kong Art:
1. The Asia Art Archive is a non-profit center in Hong Kong documenting the recent history of visual arts from Asia. The majority of their current catalogued materials and holdings relate to materials on contemporary art from Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau. Please visit its website at http://www.aaa.org.hk/collection/collectiononline
2. Hong Kong Museum of Art online Hong Kong Art Research Portal. Its Resource Center is accessible by appointment (enquiry: 852-27342114). [The center provides reference materials including books, periodicals, art videos and artists archive on Chinese art, Western art and museum studies.]
3. Hong Kong Heritage Museum Hong Kong Art Archive website [The archive includes information on artists, art organizations and events.]
4. The Hong Kong Art Archive of the Department of Fine Arts, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, access by request (enquiry: 852-26097615, contact persons: Chan Yuk Keung and Harold Mok). [The archive is a collection of materials related to Hong Kong art and it is an ongoing project.]
5. The University of Hong Kong, Department of Art History Resource Centre web catalogue http://arthistory.hku.hk/rc-opac
6. The Sabrina Fung Fine Arts SFFA Project Hong Kong Art Web http://www.hongkongartweb.com [This website is a platform for current multi-discipline contemporary art in Hong Kong.]
The Hong Kong Art Archive is honoured to be chosen as one of the HKU Faculty of Arts 90th Anniversary projects.
Last updated: 3 July, 2020.